Materials

Design

Processes

Units

Formulas

Math
List Recent Topics | Start a New Topic

Message No. 6600, Started by powerhorse on 03/28/01
I AM CURRENTLY INVESTIGATING THE FEASIBILITY OF DESIGNING A SUSPENSION SYSTEM BASED ON ELECTROMAGNETS AND A GYROSCOPE. OBVIOUSLY I CAN'T GO INTO DETAIL ON MY DESIGN BUT TO GIVE AN INSITE INTO IT, THE GYROSCOPE IS SPINNING AT A CONSTANT ANGULAR VELOCITY. NATURALLY, DUE TO GRAVITY, THE GYROSCOPE WANTS TO REMAIN UPRIGHT. (CENTRIFUGAL/CENTRIPETAL FORCES) AS THE VEHICLE ACCELERATES, DECELLERATES, AND CORNERS THE GYROSCOPE PICKS UP THE FORCES THAT WANT TO PREVENT IT FORM STAYING UPRIGHT AND AN ONBOARD COMPUTER RECIEVES A SIGNAL FROM THE GYROSCOPE, THEREFORE, MAKING WHATEVER SIDE OF THE VEHICLES SUSPENSION HARDER/SOFTER, OR HIGHER OR LOWER. FOR EXAMPLE, A CAR MAY TRAVEL AROUND A LEFT HAND CORNER. THE LOAD ON THE CAR WILL PRODUCE A GREATER FORCE ON THE RIGHT HANDSIDE TYRES, AND A LIGHTER FORCE ON THE LEFT HAND TYRES. THIS ESS COULD PRODUCE A DESIRED EFFECT, BY MAKING THE SUSPENSION AND RIDE FIRMER ON THE RIGHT SIDE, REDUCING BODY ROLL AND INCREASING GRIP AND CORNERING CAPABILITIES.
IF ANYONE CAN POINT ME TO SOURCES OF INFORMATION ON THIS TOPIC, IT WILL BE OF GREAT HELP. IF ANY MAJOR ENGINEERING MANUFACTURERS ARE INTERESTED IN MY DESIGN PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO EMAIL ME AT: POWERHORSE@MSCHUMACHER.COM
Reply | Start a New Topic | List Recent Topics

Follow-up Messages (2)
One problem I see is the amount of force required. If I understand correct...
No. 6617, Posted by gearhead greg on 03/29/01, 12:57 PST.
I have heard of adaptive suspension systems that use a magnetic/rheological...
No. 6613, Posted by rorschach on 03/29/01, 10:52 PST.
Home  Membership  About Us  Privacy  Disclaimer  Contact  Advertise

Copyright © 2017 eFunda, Inc.