Materials

Design

Processes

Units

Formulas

Math
List Recent Topics | Start a New Topic

Message No. 22180, Started by crf59 on 01/16/14

I am trying to build the simplest possible electrochlorinator for use in a semi-enclosed volume in seawater. I want to regularly chlorinate a 20 liter volume (periodicity is not firm yet, but roughly weekly) to about 20 ppm. One path is to store a bunch of chemical and pump it in to the volume, but sodlium hypochlorite or other oxidizers are difficult to store and work with. Electrochlorinators can generate chlorine on demand so are a really elegant way of avoiding chemicals.

So... I can buy the requisite titanium cathode plate and MMO coated titanium anode plate, and from what i've read the voltage should not exceed 7 volts. All good. I have also read that the plate separation in salt water pool chlorinators is about 2.5 mm. Since I've never done this, I was wondering if anyone has experience with what the min/max current should be, how to limit current with the simplest possible circuit/method, how to attach power leads to the plates (worried about removing MMO on the anode plate) and, as a stretch goal, figure out to determine chlorine concentration given the fixed volume.

Reply | Start a New Topic | List Recent Topics

There are no replies to this message.

Home  Membership  About Us  Privacy  Disclaimer  Contact  Advertise

Copyright © 2017 eFunda, Inc.