Units

Formulas

Math
List Recent Topics | Start a New Topic

<< Previous Message No. 10364 Next >>
Author: rolschwarz
Time: 01/14/03 09:44 PST
This is a reply to message no. 10363 by rorschach
Reply | Original Message | New Topic | List Topics | List Messages on This Topic
Current Topic:
Moving the plant/manufacturing area?
A man's got to know his limitations!  (If he is unsure of his limitations, he should ask his wife!)  I won't be so quick to jump onto the expert-bashing bandwagon.

There is wisdom to calling in experts when a problem's scope exceeds one's knowledge.  A decent planner WILL talk to the shop people and processes, etc. or at least watch them.  These people usually have a good grip on how their jobs and environments could improve, but these suggestions don't always translate into an overall systemic improvement.  If your consultant has been around the block a few times, he is probably aware of many things that you might not catch on your once-in-a-lifetime run-through.  Consultants are like musicians: you pay for hours of performance in order to benefit from years of practice.

Any expert worth hiring will give a synopsis of the approach he intends to take.  Also, as the customer, you should exercise your right to judge and question whether you think your consultant is on the right track.  If the approach is sensible, it will make sense to you.

I grow weary of the "things you can't learn in school" diatribe (the mantra of the uneducated).  I can usually throw that back with a "things you should have learned in school if you weren't sleeping" counter.  In proper context and application, theory and practice NEVER contradict.
[ List Replies to This Message Only ]

Home  Membership  About Us  Privacy  Disclaimer  Contact  Advertise

Copyright © 2017 eFunda, Inc.