Units

Formulas

Math
List Recent Topics | Start a New Topic

<< Previous Message No. 10368 Next >>
Author: rorschach
Time: 01/14/03 19:15 PST
This is a reply to message no. 10367 by rolschwarz
Reply | Original Message | New Topic | List Topics | List Messages on This Topic
Current Topic:
Moving the plant/manufacturing area?
No problem, we all have our pet peeves.

But on the other hand, you must admit that if it were completely true that everything you ever needed to know was taught in school, then there would never be a reason to hire someone with 15 years experience vs someone fresh out of school.

This is a pet peeve of mine and it is a two headed one. There are people in the HR/management world who would hire someone fresh out of school on what I feel to be the misguided notion that the young guy's skills are "fresher" (this is mainly a sop to make them feel better about hiring somebody who'll work cheap and may not have a household to support.) or they'll get rid of a guy that knows the product or process because he's been there and done that for years and hire a new kid to save a buck and say it is because the older guy's skill sets are "outdated". And there are those who are fresh out of school who tell themselves that they know more about a given subject than the people who may have been doing it for years. Invariably thier arrogance gets appropriately rewarded eventually.

I firmly believe that experience is a much better teacher than some academic professor that never had to meet a deadline or fix a project that was based on inaccurate or missing information during the conceptual phase. I've seen several newly minted BSME's that have come up sucking air when thrown in the deep end of the pool. School didn't truly prepare them for real life, it was too theoretical and structured. Don't get me wrong, the academics are important, but it isn't the only preparation needed. What they really needed was a couple years under the wing of an old hand to show them the ropes and show them how to apply all the theoretical stuff to real world problems. There's something to be said for the apprenticeship approach to learning. In fact I feel theres too much theory and not enough real world application in the engineering syllabus.

But hey, that's my opinion....

so what is "The Fountainhead" about?
[ List Replies to This Message Only ]

Home  Membership  About Us  Privacy  Disclaimer  Contact  Advertise

Copyright © 2017 eFunda, Inc.