Units

Formulas

Math
List Recent Topics | Start a New Topic

<< Previous Message No. 11553 Next >>
Author: spike78
Time: 07/02/03 16:29 PST
This is a reply to message no. 11530 by caroline7c
Reply | Original Message | New Topic | List Topics | List Messages on This Topic
Current Topic:
aluminum vs. steel in brake disc
You need to calculate or determine

-The amount of energy that the rotor will absord for each braking event, how much speed will you loose how quickly. and how heavy the vehicle in question is

-how frequent these event will be

those two factors will obviously change depending apon the trial cruict the FSAE people set you but you should be able to make an estimate of the fiqures required

-Determine how much of that energy will go into the pad howmuch will go into the rotor, this data is available don't ask me where but i found it once.....

-using these factors you can work out how hot the rotor will get by using the energy into it, the specific heat capacity and the rotor's mass. I'd sujest treating the system as a single point mass and not worring about the heat being applied to one section of the rotor at a time to start with.

-You should also look at the cooling effects of air circulation on the rotor and pad, don't neglect the pads or you will end up with pads on fire which is always nasty!

Their are a number of SAE papers on computer modelling of brake rotor system give them a read to see how others do it. but i'd suggest that the limit for an FSAE car is t structral rather than thermal

[ List Replies to This Message Only ]

Home  Membership  About Us  Privacy  Disclaimer  Contact  Advertise

Copyright © 2017 eFunda, Inc.