Units

Formulas

Math
List Recent Topics | Start a New Topic

<< Previous Message No. 11830 Next >>
Author: b1ueshift
Time: 08/08/03 21:03 PST
This is a reply to message no. 11826 by artsijan
Reply | Original Message | New Topic | List Topics | List Messages on This Topic
Current Topic:
What Programming Language is best for Mechanical Engineers?
To artsijan.

Like me you are probably overwelmed by the variety of programming languages available and don't want to invest large amounts of time and money in something if there is a more suitable product available.

I can only suggest that you gaze into a crystal ball and try to predict what kind of software you want to write in the years ahead.

The questions you need to ask would probably include:
What platform (windows, unix, mac)
How important is speed
Are you going to try to re-use code between applications
Who is going to use it
Do you need visual tools (windows, buttons, drop down menus)
What is your program going to use for inputs & outputs
Are you going to write all the code yourself or work in a team
Will you use components written by others

I went back to University 2 years ago and learned to program in Java - which is a wonderful language to write in - but MS don't seem to want to support it and it runs slow compared to compiled languages.  I started teaching myself VB as a good tool for writing windows apps.  As for Delphi, my sister's husband (who's a programmer) persuaded me to try Delphi which he believes is better, faster & easier than VB for almost everything.  After trying some of its tutorials, I could see several advantages.  I'll be sticking to it for now.

Don't be put off by object oriented languages.  A lot of languages claim to support object oriented programming (which is true because you can use any language for object oriented programming, but you may need to write the functionality yourself!).  Some languages like Java and C++ have very good support for object oriented programming built in.  You don't need to wory about these features if they don't interest you, but if you eventually learn about object oriented programming, you will find it a lot easier to re-use code between projects.  
[ List Replies to This Message Only ]

Home  Membership  About Us  Privacy  Disclaimer  Contact  Advertise

Copyright © 2017 eFunda, Inc.