Units

Formulas

Math
List Recent Topics | Start a New Topic

<< Previous Message No. 11902 Next >>
Author: billdean
Time: 08/18/03 14:53 PST
This is a reply to message no. 11901 by rorobert
Reply | Original Message | New Topic | List Topics | List Messages on This Topic
Current Topic:
geometric tolerancing
Here is my basic understanding,

Flatness refers to the form of a feature, such as one edge of a cube. A .010" dimension on a flatness tolerance means the the edge should stay within two parallel planes .010" apart from each other along its entire surface.

Parallelism refers to the orientation of a feature with respect to another feature. A .010" dimension on a parallelism tolerance means that the edge with the tolerance should stay within two parallel planes .010" apart (These two parallel planes are exactly parallel to a datum surface). This dimensioned edge should use one or more basic dimensions showing its position with respect to one of the defined datums on the part. Think of the basic dimension as an exact value and the parallelism tolerance as the actual tolerance of that surface.

Anytime I have a feature with a geometric tolerance, I use basic dimensions to define its position with respect to a datum. A basic dimension is always precise and doesn't have any ± tolerances.

There may be a few exceptions to what I said, but this is how I learned it.

Find a website with some graphics and you will understand it better.
[ List Replies to This Message Only ]

Home  Membership  About Us  Privacy  Disclaimer  Contact  Advertise

Copyright © 2017 eFunda, Inc.