Units

Formulas

Math
List Recent Topics | Start a New Topic

<< Previous Message No. 16183 Next >>
Author: rorschach
Time: 05/26/05 11:23 PST
This is a reply to message no. 16182 by rfp1968
Reply | Original Message | New Topic | List Topics | List Messages on This Topic
Current Topic:
Poor Drafting Practices
If I had an opening, and you were in Houston, you'd be getting a call from me right about now...I'd LOVE to be able to teach someone the right way to do it. (but you'd learn drafting the RIGHT way instead of the stupid first angle projection method europe uses! GRRRR! yet another sore point with me.) as we all have made clear in our little rants, drafting skill as a communications tool is being lost. I'm not even sure if the instructors in school even know how anymore. SO MANY shortcuts are being taken it boggles my mind.

Here are a few things I think are helpful to keep in mind when you sit down to draw something:
Who will use this document? How will they use it? not just today, but 30 years from now too. How can you make the intellectual capitol involved in the object reusable? can a complete stranger with no knowlege of your language or industry be able to make this part with the information provided? Is the drawing as clear as it can be or is there another way to show things that would make it easier to understand? Is everything required to make this part explicitly spelled out either on this document (preferable) or on another linked document? What about material callouts? has the material been described completely enough to prevent the wrong material being used? welding procedures? painting and coating procedures? heat treatment? Forging procedure? the details can get pretty extensive real quick. CAD is a tool no different than a compass or a scale. it is not whether you know how to operate the tool that is the issue, Too many people want to recast the issue as "too much emphasis on cad not enough on drawing!" having to redraw an entire view because you left insufficient space for dimensions is a strong teacher to do things right. Cad does not force this so layout and clarity suffers. But there are fundamental issues of how to draw something to make it useful to others that drawing on the board cannot address.
[ List Replies to This Message Only ]

Home  Membership  About Us  Privacy  Disclaimer  Contact  Advertise

Copyright © 2017 eFunda, Inc.