Units

Formulas

Math
List Recent Topics | Start a New Topic

<< Previous Message No. 12626 Next >>
Author: Booster
Time: 11/28/03 00:01 PST
This is a reply to message no. 12606 by Booster
Reply | Original Message | New Topic | List Topics | List Messages on This Topic
Current Topic:
Home-made Giant batteries
(1)   Would it help if i were to come up with some configuration of a coil between the rocket terminal and the barrels, such as to take some of the extreme brunt of the bolt and convert it into electromagnetic energy. Might this act as a sort of fuse, or bumper and to dampen the shock.  Maybe sections of ABS bar,,(of large diameter), with very thick coil.  As i remember, the lighting is typically something like 9 million volts, yet it is low amps.
     Ive had one introductory class of electronics and i remember Voltage is akin to pressure, and Amperage is akin to speed of flow.
(2) Would an array of coils be the key to taming this into managable quantities?  Or am i still not getting it?   If the surge is too much, the coils expell the exess energy in the form of radio waves.  This may be desirable since the lighting bolts may carry differing charges in relation to the thunder head present. If then you now have managable portions of the high voltage, could you now introduce a tansformer?
(3)  Also you have electro magnetic to work with.  If nothing else,, what about introducing the expansion of the water vapors in the correct configuration(much experimentation here) in a containable and transferrable method.  You could charge air tanks for pneumatic tools.  Excess pressure could be dealt with using certain valves.  Basically, a one time violent heat expansion, not enuf to move pistons(steam engine), but maybe enough to charge the appropriate container.
     I beleive that the bolt itself in the atmosphere is basically plasma, but when it travels through an object such as a tree, it causes the moisture to expand because of a sort of resistance, or friction, if you will.  So it is this expansion, that may warrant further exploration in materials and configuration to solve the "Air pressure Charge" aspect.
     I dont expect you all to magically figure this out for me, but with the different aspects and disciplines here, i hoped this forum could help with some of my more theorectal notions and experimentations.  
    I posed this question to an electronics teacher and physics teacher at college once.  The electronics teacher said "it would burn up my wire", i said "make it bigger wire", he said,, "it will burn up too", i said "make it Bar stock!" ,,,,He had no answer to that and had nothing more useful to offer, and no interest in pondering the question.  The physics teacher was a real slouch too, he couldn't even explain different battery components.  I invite constructive critisism, but i have little patience for nay sayers.
     Thanks so much for any constructive input with this because around here i find it very hard to find people to talk to about mechanical design stuff. Often times i find that engineers i speek with are too busy, or involved to ponder things that arent rigidly defined in their discpline. Others are too quick to ask why, rather than why not.   I'm not an engineer and i don't pretend to be.
     I realy appreciate this forum for those of you who are willing to share your knowledge and maybe i can add some usefull imput as well.  
BTW.....My background.  Studying for degree in Mechanical design.  Free marketeer, strong interest in Industrial design(Product design), and 3 years experience in machine shops. Drafting,3D modeling, prototyping.
Age 31, Salem OR.   "I appreciate craftsmanship."
Available for hire DOJ.  Resume' and Portfolio available upon request.
[ List Replies to This Message Only ]

Home  Membership  About Us  Privacy  Disclaimer  Contact  Advertise

Copyright © 2017 eFunda, Inc.