Units

Formulas

Math
List Recent Topics | Start a New Topic

<< Previous Message No. 13977 Next >>
Author: ddelaiar
Time: 05/26/04 08:10 PST
This is a reply to message no. 13968 by travis
Reply | Original Message | New Topic | List Topics | List Messages on This Topic
Current Topic:
Efunda, I have an idea for you guys.
Travis, I didn't mean to step on your toes and get you offended.  I think that, in theory (and a utopian world), it's a great idea.  I too learned better through example in college and still solve a lot of my problems by applying examples rather than theory.  In an ideal world, engineers would be able to benefit from such a source of knowledge.

But, in our world, that isn't necessarily the case.  People are looking to bring things to market quicker and cheaper than the next guy.  Like someone else said, this type of tool might still give the managers, mathematicians, and general hobbyists (not to mention students) "just enough rope to hang themselves with."  You give the workings of the problem, but not necessarily the "why" behind.  I think that's where engineers differ from others.  Business types want to know "Can we do it" and want a simple 'yes' or 'no.'  Engineers, on the other hand, aren't so cut and dry.  We want to know why - why we can or why we can't.  Intrinsically, that keeps us understanding the more important background information.

It's not that your idea is bad, it's just that I see many pitfalls with it.
[ List Replies to This Message Only ]

Home  Membership  About Us  Privacy  Disclaimer  Contact  Advertise

Copyright © 2017 eFunda, Inc.