Units

Formulas

Math
List Recent Topics | Start a New Topic

<< Previous Message No. 16280 Next >>
Author: acroduster1
Time: 06/08/05 17:56 PST
This is a reply to message no. 16279 by sdoughty11
Reply | Original Message | New Topic | List Topics | List Messages on This Topic
Current Topic:
Stresses in a clamped circular plate
First I'll address the semantic issue:  you are absolutely correct that the word traverse means across, no more, no less.  However, if you told someone that traverse means across, handed them a washer, and asked them what the traverse dimension is, my bet is they would tell you it's the outer diameter;  across the entire shape.

As for checking my results, as I stated in my last post, I compared an FEA model's boundary results to the formula's values and they correlated VERY closely.  The key here is that my diameter/annulus ration was about 10, so the answers would have been very different if Roark was using the annulus dimension as the traverse dimension.

I'll state it clearer than I did last time:  without a doubt, the meaning of "least traverse dimension" in Roark's for this application is the least out-to-out dimension.  Again, as I said before, go set up a quick FEA model to prove it yourself.  Seriously, it takes maybe 20 minutes to check it.  You'll see what I mean.  Roll up your sleeves and get dirty - it's by far the most effective learning tool...
[ List Replies to This Message Only ]

Home  Membership  About Us  Privacy  Disclaimer  Contact  Advertise

Copyright © 2017 eFunda, Inc.