engineering fundamentals Discussion Forum
Directory | Career | News | Industrial
Home Membership Magazines Forum Search Member Calculators






List Recent Topics | Start a New Topic

<< Previous Message No. 17100 Next >>
Author: rolschwarz
Time: 12/03/05 10:49 PST
This is a reply to message no. 17098 by gerdb
Reply | Original Message | New Topic | List Topics | List Messages on This Topic
Current Topic:
total runout

Respectfully, gerd, you do misunderstand.

 Total runout in this case is in the GD&T sense.  Your definition roughly matches the means of measuring single runout.

 Singular runout is the total needle movement for any single planar section of a cylinder.  It can be equated to zones defined by minimum and maximum circles that define the region a single section of a surface occupies when rotated about a given axis.

Total runout is single runout expanded to the entire axial length of a cylindrical surface.  Total runout consists, by definition, of two concentric cylinders that encompass a feature about a defined axis.  Generally, total runout is measured by taking single runout at intervals along an entre cylinder.  The extremes of needle deflection for the entire set of intervals yields total runout.

 I looked in my GD&T book, as well as checked with our quality department.  It seems that total runout only applies to cylinders, as it is defined by AMSE standards.

[ List Replies to This Message Only ]

Home  Membership  About Us  Privacy  Disclaimer  Contact  Advertise

Copyright © 2018 eFunda, Inc.