Units

Formulas

Math
List Recent Topics | Start a New Topic

<< Previous Message No. 13837 Next >>
Author: davek
Time: 05/05/04 14:40 PST
This is a reply to message no. 12826 by acroduster1
Reply | Original Message | New Topic | List Topics | List Messages on This Topic
Current Topic:
Rotation as a vector
This very interesting thread seems to come to the clear conclusion that angular displacement is NOT a vector - although there are a few voices saying that angular position IS a vector. I can't figure out what the differene between position and displacement is.

I have a practical problem where I know the angular position of an object in an orthogonal 3D space  but I want to know it's angular position in another orthogonal 3D coordinate system that is rotated with respect to the original.

Before reading this discussion, I had naively assumed that I could treat the angular position as a vector (direction=axis, magnitude=angle), combine the three orthogonal positions by vector arithmetic then project the resultant vector onto the new space.

If angular position is NOT a vector, this is clearly invalid. So, after a long winded intro - my question is:

If angular position/dispacement is not a vector - what IS it? and what mathematics do I need to use to work with it. Can any of you erudite people help?
[ List Replies to This Message Only ]

Home  Membership  About Us  Privacy  Disclaimer  Contact  Advertise

Copyright © 2017 eFunda, Inc.