Units

Formulas

Math
List Recent Topics | Start a New Topic

<< Previous Message No. 7340 Next >>
Author: schultheis
Time: 06/14/01 06:01 PST
This is a reply to message no. 7316 by gillis
Reply | Original Message | New Topic | List Topics | List Messages on This Topic
Current Topic:
Pump bhp
After re-reading your post I realize that I didn? really answer it. Here it goes again. The rotating impeller causes the liquid that enters the pump to increase in velocity.  As I said we are taking input power from the driver and converting it to kinetic energy in the fluid. Kinetic energy is a function of mass and velocity.  You are right, the amount of velocity we add to the fluid is fairly constant, but as more mass goes through the pump, it takes more energy from the driver, to continue to add the same velocity. The amount of mass  pushed through the pump is dependent on efficiency and head. The fluid velocity exiting the pump is not constant, because in the diffuser the kinetic energy  (or energy due to velocity increase) is converted  to pressure.  As a result the velocity of the fluid exiting the pump is lower than the velocity of the fluid at the tip of the impeller, and will be dependent on how much kinetic energy is converted to pressure in the diffuser.

I think I got it this time!
[ List Replies to This Message Only ]

Home  Membership  About Us  Privacy  Disclaimer  Contact  Advertise

Copyright © 2017 eFunda, Inc.