Units

Formulas

Math
List Recent Topics | Start a New Topic

<< Previous Message No. 7847 Next >>
Author: rorschach
Time: 09/10/01 10:24 PST
This is a reply to message no. 7846 by sqbadyvr
Reply | Original Message | New Topic | List Topics | List Messages on This Topic
Current Topic:
why engineering?
all of the above responses mirror my own thoughts. here are some other questions to ask yourself that may help you decide. When you were a child, did you take your toys apart to either figure out how they work or in the case of broken toys, how to fix them? Now that you are an adolecent, do you look foreward to buying a new car or do you look foreward to buying a junker that you can rebuild and/or modify? what sort of hobbies do you have? do you build RC models (airplanes/boats/cars etc.)? Model Rockets? or do you spend your time doing something else. all of these things give you a clue as to your talents in this area. I have to admit that even though I am making more money than I ever have in my life, I'd almost do what I do for free because I enjoy it so much (nobody tell my boss that... ok?). People talk about how cutting edge Electrical or Software engineering is, but they still need a mechanical person to design and build the hardware. Mechanical design will never go away, and depending on the dicipline, can be pretty cutting edge. while I understand the earlier response about majoring in physics, I'd recommend that if engineering is really what you want to do, I'd major in that instead of physics. engineering is about applied physics and as such is alot less abstract than a true physics curriculum.

good luck on your decision, whichever way you decide to go.
[ List Replies to This Message Only ]

Home  Membership  About Us  Privacy  Disclaimer  Contact  Advertise

Copyright © 2017 eFunda, Inc.