Software, contrast to hardware which represents the physical portation of a computer, device, or machine itself, is intangible. It is usually the collection of computer programs and related data that instruct the computer, device, or machine to perform the desired functions.
Examples of computer software include
- Application software includes end-user applications of computers
- Device drivers control computer peripherals
- Programming languages define the syntax and semantics of computer programs.
- System software includes operating systems, which govern computing resources
- Programming tools or developing environment help conduct computing tasks in any category listed above
- Firmware is low-level software often stored on electrically programmable memory devices