Common O-Ring materials that are SUITABLE for dynamic and static seal in the environment containing Silver Nitrate include
- Butyl: Butyl (IIR) is a synthetic rubber, a copolymer of isobutylene and isoprene.
- Chemraz: Chemraz combines the resilience and sealing force of an elastomer with chemical resistance approaching that of PTFE.
- Ethylene-Propylene: Ethylene-propylene (EP) is a copolymer of ethylene and propylene.
- Fluorocarbon: Fluorocarbon elastomer (FKM) material is also known by its tradename VITON or Fluorel.
- Fluorosilicone: Fluorosilicone combines excellent low-temperature performance of silicone with improved chemical resistance.
- Hypalon: Hypalon is the traenme of a clasof Chlorosulfonated Polyethylene (CSM).
- Kalrez: Kalrez is the tradename for a perfluoroelastomeric material.
- Natural Rubber: Natural rubber is a product coagulated from the latex of the rubber tree, hevea brasiliensis.
- Neoprene: Neoprene is a homopolymer of chlorobutadiene (CR).
- Polyacrylate: Polyacrylate (ACM) is a class of copolymer of ethyl and acrylates.
- Millable Polyurethane: Millable Polyurethane rubber is made from both polyester and polyether polyols.
- Silicone: Silicone is a semi-organic elastomer with outstanding resistance to extremes of temperature.
- Styrene Butadiene: Styrene-Butadiene rubber (SBR) has properties similar to those of natural rubber.
- Virgin Teflon: Because Teflon is a hard plastic rather than a stretchy elastomer, it is uncommon to see an o-ring that is made entirely of Teflon.
The O-Ring materials below are USUALLY SUITABLE for static seal in the environment containing Silver Nitrate.
- Buna-N (Nitrile): Buna-N, also known as Nitrile rubber, is a synthetic rubber copolymer of acrylonitrile (ACN) and butadiene.
- Hydrogenated Nitrile: Hydrogenated Nitrile Butadiene Rubber (HNBR) is also known as Highly Saturated Nitrile (HSN).
- Polysulfide: Polysulfide was one of the first commercial synthetic elastomers.
O-Ring materials that are NOT SUITABLE for using in the environment containing Silver Nitrate include
- Epichlorohydrin: Epichlorohydrin (ECO) has properties similar to nitrile rubber but with better heat and oil resistance as well as better low temperature flexibility.
There is not enough data to determine whether the following common O-Ring materials are suitable for using in the environment containing Silver Nitrate or not.
- Aflas: Aflas is the tradename for a unique fluoroelastomer based upon an alternating copolymer of tetrafluoroethylene and propylene ("TFE/P").
- Cast Polyurethane: Cast Polyurethane exhibits outstanding tensile strength and abrasion resistance in comparison with other elastomers.
- Vamac: Vamac is the tradename of a class of Ethylene Acrylic elastomer (AEM).
Glossary: Design: Oring: Chemical: Coolanol Monsanto
Glossary: Design: Oring: Chemical: Gas Hydrobromic Acid
Glossary: Design: Oring: Chemical: Producer Gas
Glossary: Design: Oring: Chemical: Ammonium Phosphate
Glossary: Design: Oring: Material: Kalrez
Glossary: Design: Oring: Chemical: Ethylene Trichloride
Glossary: Design: Oring: Chemical: Butter
Glossary: Design: Oring: Chemical: Diacetone Alcohol
Glossary: Design: Oring: Chemical: Natural Gas