Common O-Ring materials that are SUITABLE for dynamic and static seal in the environment containing Whiskey include
- Buna-N (Nitrile): Buna-N, also known as Nitrile rubber, is a synthetic rubber copolymer of acrylonitrile (ACN) and butadiene.
- Butyl: Butyl (IIR) is a synthetic rubber, a copolymer of isobutylene and isoprene.
- Chemraz: Chemraz combines the resilience and sealing force of an elastomer with chemical resistance approaching that of PTFE.
- Ethylene-Propylene: Ethylene-propylene (EP) is a copolymer of ethylene and propylene.
- Fluorocarbon: Fluorocarbon elastomer (FKM) material is also known by its tradename VITON or Fluorel.
- Fluorosilicone: Fluorosilicone combines excellent low-temperature performance of silicone with improved chemical resistance.
- Hypalon: Hypalon is the traenme of a clasof Chlorosulfonated Polyethylene (CSM).
- Kalrez: Kalrez is the tradename for a perfluoroelastomeric material.
- Natural Rubber: Natural rubber is a product coagulated from the latex of the rubber tree, hevea brasiliensis.
- Neoprene: Neoprene is a homopolymer of chlorobutadiene (CR).
- Hydrogenated Nitrile: Hydrogenated Nitrile Butadiene Rubber (HNBR) is also known as Highly Saturated Nitrile (HSN).
- Silicone: Silicone is a semi-organic elastomer with outstanding resistance to extremes of temperature.
- Styrene Butadiene: Styrene-Butadiene rubber (SBR) has properties similar to those of natural rubber.
- Virgin Teflon: Because Teflon is a hard plastic rather than a stretchy elastomer, it is uncommon to see an o-ring that is made entirely of Teflon.
- Vamac: Vamac is the tradename of a class of Ethylene Acrylic elastomer (AEM).
O-Ring materials that are NOT SUITABLE for using in the environment containing Whiskey include
- Polyacrylate: Polyacrylate (ACM) is a class of copolymer of ethyl and acrylates.
- Polysulfide: Polysulfide was one of the first commercial synthetic elastomers.
- Millable Polyurethane: Millable Polyurethane rubber is made from both polyester and polyether polyols.
There is not enough data to determine whether the following common O-Ring materials are suitable for using in the environment containing Whiskey or not.
- Aflas: Aflas is the tradename for a unique fluoroelastomer based upon an alternating copolymer of tetrafluoroethylene and propylene ("TFE/P").
- Epichlorohydrin: Epichlorohydrin (ECO) has properties similar to nitrile rubber but with better heat and oil resistance as well as better low temperature flexibility.
- Cast Polyurethane: Cast Polyurethane exhibits outstanding tensile strength and abrasion resistance in comparison with other elastomers.
Glossary: Design: Oring: Chemical: Cyclohexane
Glossary: Design: Oring: Chemical: Isopropyl Ether
Glossary: Design: Oring: Chemical: Fresh Water
Glossary: Design: Oring: Chemical: Ethyl Diamine
Glossary: Design: Oring: Chemical: Red Oil
Glossary: Design: Oring: Chemical: Helium
Glossary: Design: Oring: Chemical: Automotive Gasoline
Glossary: Design: Oring: Chemical: Methylacrylic Acid
Glossary: Design: Oring: Material: Chemraz